Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
– Benjamin Franklin
Update for 2012-2013 School Year
- The A Clue Card has students using our periodical section of the library.
- The purpose of the H Clue Card is to orient students with how to use the electronic card catalog, how to locate the description of a book in the card catalog, what the call number of the book is and how to locate it and how to print to the library printers.
- The purpose of the S Clue Card is to teach students how to use the Alabama Virtual Library to locate information that can be used for essays, research papers, etc.
- The purpose of the L Clue Card is to have students investigate the fiction section of the library while finding titles that can be used to create original book spine poetry.
- Here are some sources that contain great examples of Book Spine Poems:
- The purpose of the M Clue Card is to enroll students into their English Moodle page, learn what Moodle is and how it works, and how to find a class assignment and resources on Moodle and then how to turn a completed assignment in through Moodle. This is done not only for the sake of the students but also for our teachers who are still new to learning how Moodle can work in their classrooms. (Lead through example)
- The purpose of the C Clue Card is to orient students to the reference books that we still house in the library (in case of a catastrophe where the Internet or our network is not working) Additionally, students must know where to find the copier and how to use it to complete the clue card task.
If you choose to fashion a scavenger hunt for your own school library, please let me know how it goes and what type of clue cards you created to highlight the cool stuff in your school library : )
October 3, 2012
The Library Orientation Clue Cards get students actively engaged in using the various library resources available. Even the most jaded teenagers get into the activity and enjoy the competition with other teams.