I absolutely love using Google+ Hangouts On Air to record PD sessions and for recording Flipped Classroom lessons. It is quick, simple, and seamless once you have gone through an initial, one time, slightly convoluted and aggravating set up process.
First, you will need to make sure that you have established your Google+ Account. In other words, you need to change from +You to +Nikki (or your name since you are not me).
1. A computer
2. Internet Access
3. Using Google Chrome Web Browser (Not Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc.)
4. A webcam and microphone (a headset w/microphone is preferred to reduce feedback)
5. An established Google+ Account (see above)
6. Install Google Hangout Plug In https://www.google.com/tools/
7. ALL people who will be in the Hangout will need to add each other to their circles.
- The easiest way to do this is to have each person send you their Google ID.
- My Google+ ID is: https://
- Here is a video tutorial for how to find your Google Plus (Google+) User ID - How to Find<http://www.youtube.com/
Whew! Now that you have worked your way to this point the next time will be super simple!
So. How do you actually invite people to your Google Hangout On Air?
1. Sign into your Google+ Account
2. Hover over the "Home" button on the left hand side of your screen and click on "Hangouts" that appears on the drop down menu.
3. Click on "Start a Hangout On Air"
7. Invite any guests that you would like to appear On Air with you. (limit is 10 counting yourself) then click the green INVITE button. You do not have to invite guests. Why would you not invited guest? If you are simply recording a Flipped Lesson there is no need to invite any guests. In this case you would choose the SKIP button.
This step is where you invite people to BE A PART OF the Hangout On Air, not just watch it.
11. To share a PowerPoint, document, website, video, picture, etc with your audience you will need to hover over the left side of the Hangout screen and then click on the green icon that says SCREENSHARE. Choose FULL SCREEN or DESKTOP and then click on the blue START SCREENSHARE button. Minimize the Hangout screen. Anything you see on your computer is what your audience will see.
Watch an instructional video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9990Mil9MU