Elkmont DPI End of Month Report
- Digital Passport Initiative (DPI) Deployment at Elkmont High School Tuesday, September 2, 2014 http://limestonedpi.weebly.com/lcs-dpi-blog/elkmont-dpi-rollout-daybig-success
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) began at Elkmont
- Established Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
- Set PLP Technology Learning Goals among PLCs 3.7 Educate Alabama
- Training of 3rd - 12th grades on LCS GAFE Account
- Training of 3rd -12th grade Math Teachers on Khan Academy
- Established a weekly DPI time for each 3rd and 4th grade teacher to ensure DPI teachers/students are receiving at 75% of Instructional Technology Facilitators time each week
- Established a collaborative DPI calendar
- Established a weekly DPI blog post highlighting Elkmont’s progression with DPI and BYOD
- Created Flipped Learning technology tutorials for teachers. More tutorials will be added as requested.
Word Mosaics with Nouns
Ms. Bates and Ms. Adams' 4th Grade students had some fun learning nouns by making word clouds with them. This is just the first step the DPI Team will take using word clouds. Our next step is to use word clouds to assist students with identifying main idea and writing summaries of text.Word clouds, also called tag clouds or a weighted list, are a visual depiction of the frequency tabulation of the words in any selected written material, such as lecture notes, a
textbook chapter or an internet site. Font size is used to indicate frequency, so the larger the font size, the more frequently a word is used. (https://www.iupui.edu/~josotl/archive/vol_11/no_2/v11n2miley.pdf)
Illustrating Vocabulary Words with Google Slides
Mr. Hobbs 4th Grade students illustrated their vocabulary words from the story, The Secret Messenger, using Google Slides. During this lesson students learned how to create a Google Slide presentation, how to choose a slide theme, how to edit text, how to add images, and how to share the presentation with others.
Our next steps once we master using Google Slides (formerly Google Presentations) is to:
- work collaboratively in groups within the classroom on a single Google Slide Presentation
- work collaboratively in groups with students in other classes on a single Google Slide Presentation
- work collaboratively in groups with students in other schools on a single Google Slide Presentation
Student Directors Premier at Elkmont
Ms. Bates & Ms. Adams 4th grade students traded their desks for the director's chair this week. Continuing with their language arts focus on nouns, students used KidzSearch to safely search for images of nouns. Once students had gathered a minimum of 10 nouns they created their own noun movie using iMovie.
Ms. McMunn's 3rd grade students integrated their math lesson about grams and kilograms by creating an iMovie with items that represented each unit of measure.
This lesson is on the Redefinition level of the SAMR Model.