The genrification of the library will be a year long process but the big task of moving, sorting and reshelving the books was accomplished in the first 19 days of school. Student library aides were essential to the process of assigning books to genres but the assigning of genres have not been written in stone. As students discover the new arrangement of books in the library we are open to and have received suggestions of the genre a book or books should be a part of.
As the library was genrefied it became clear what genres we needed to grow. When creating our first book order of the year we took into account not only the areas that genrefication had revealed to be weak, we also asked for input from students and teachers.
Just in our 2nd 9 weeks of school I have not only listened to the verbal and interactive (mostly through Google Forms) responses from our library patrons I have also tried to listen to non verbal cues as well and make changes accordingly.
Let's get REaL. Changes to what is happening in the library will always occur if I am truly listening to the needs of our patrons. Riding those ebbs and flows and rising to the challenges presented will make for a fun ride this year.
An area I hope to improve that has been somewhat pushed to the back burner this year is connecting and collaborating with the teachers at my new school. I think this can start by partnering with our inspiring Instructional Partner, Kristi Combs.
Follow our adventures and growing pains throughout the school year though our various social media accounts, including SnapChat!